Funny story…
Brandon, in all of his wonderfulness, took me away for a romantic weekend. We went to Key West, which is our favorite place in what we know of the world.
There are many reasons why we like Key West so much. To put it simply, it is a laid-back, anything-goes kind of place, and, because we often can’t find that same attitude in our day-to-day grind, we are frequently lured toward this city. On top of that, it is incredibly beautiful, full of art and culture and good food. I can truly think of no place I would rather be, even on a scorching South Florida summer day. If you haven’t been there, I highly recommend that you go.
Thus ends my shameless plug for my favorite island. Now allow me to tell you what happened there.
We arrived late Thursday night and checked into the cutest little hotel. We normally stay in a rather dingy place in the midst of all the action of Duval Street, which you can liken to a shorter version of the Strip in Las Vegas or perhaps Bourbon Street in New Orleans. The entire city revolves around this little stretch of space, and we generally spend most of our time there, partaking in everything that makes Key West wonderful.
Well, this time, Brandon found us a hotel farther off Duval Street, which he chose for three reasons: 1) It was nice and romantic, 2) It fit into our budget, and 3) it had a pool, which we would desperately need when the temperatures reached the high 90s and the humidity was an unheard-of 167 percent.
Well, Brandon was successful on numbers one and two. The place was incredibly romantic, and it was well within our budget for the weekend (meaning more money left over for eating, drinking, and otherwise partaking in the Key West lifestyle for a few days). As I mentioned, the weekend was hot. But this was no problem because we had a pool.
Or did we?
It turned out that a big wedding party had reserved the pool for the entire weekend, and nobody at the hotel had bothered to let Brandon know this when he booked the room three days prior to our arrival. But the fact remained: the "other" guests could not be in, or even near, the pool.
This fact made me mad. After all, I was supposed to be having a romantic weekend with my boyfriend. So I marched into that front office and gave the hotel manager quite a little piece of my mind. I was yelling and screaming and making a crazy scene, complete with my finger in her face, when she reached out, grabbed that finger, and broke it! That’s right – first, she denied me the use of the hotel pool, and then she broke my finger.
Can you believe that?
Hopefully not, because it is completely untrue.
In fact, despite not being able to use the hotel's pool (that part was 100 percent true!) and not having an opportunity to give the hotel manager a piece of my mind, I had a fun-filled and injury-free weekend in Key West.
So what really happened to my finger? Why don't you ask Brandon, my fiance?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh My Gosh!! Congratulations!! I hope your folks knew before you posted this news on the internet!
Best wishes, Charlotte. I ate with your parents on Friday and they didn't say anything about it, so I am assuming they didn't know at that time. Did Brandon discuss this with your dad first? We also saw your parents Saturday and still no news from them. Any date set?
By the way I thought hotels would have an agreement with a nearby hotel about using their pool if theirs was not available.
Daryl
Congratulations! I spoke with Joan last week; she'd called to get Melissa's address to send her an engagement card. Are you going to post a picture of your finger (with the ring on, of course!) on FB so everyone can see it?
To answer all of your questions...yes, my parents knew before I posted this on the internet. They found out Saturday evening, after coming home from the Synod Assembly. Brandon didn't have "the discussion" with my dad, but it was always understood that he was welcome in our family. No date is set yet; we are going to wait a little while to make plans. I will attempt to post a picture of my finger on facebook, although I've had trouble getting a good shot of the ring. As for that pool, well our hotel told us we could use the pool at one of their other properties - an 8-block walk away. It just didn't seem to make sense to us. Even with the reward at the end, we just didn't think it was worth it.
YAY! Congrats! I was going to say, you didn't tell me anything about an injury over the weekend. Much love!
Aww...we love Key West, too!! Congrats on your engagement!
Oh my Goodness!! You're engaged! I'm so happy for you guys. Email me more details! Love ya!
Post a Comment