Anyone who is very close to me (and even a lot of people who aren’t) will know that I am not what anyone would call a baby person.
Frankly, they scare me.
Everything from the way they are made to the way they are born just seems so odd to me. We don’t need to get into the logistics here (this is a family-friendly blog, after all), but suffice it to say that I’ve just always found the entire idea of babies – from conception to birthing – a bit of a turnoff.
In other words, this having of babies is not something I am – or have ever been – into.
But I just so happen to be at that age when a lot of my peers are into it – the having of babies, I mean. My world has turned into Babies-R-Us and Baby Gap and “Oh, look at the baby!” And, despite my best efforts, a lot of these babies have grown on me.
None of them, however, nearly as much as Natalie Elizabeth, (whom you may remember from my July 6, 2009, post as Baby Blueberry). She is the three-day-old daughter of one of my dearest friends, and I am overjoyed to welcome her into this world.
It’s a bit unsettling to me to acknowledge that I am old enough to have friends who have babies, especially when I feel so far from being ready to have one of my own. And I still find it a bit unsettling to think about how the whole process goes. (Call me crazy, but I just feel really strongly that there might have been an easier, cleaner, less painful way – stork, anyone?)
But despite all my reservations about how babies find their way into the world, I am so thrilled that Natalie did. I can’t really explain why, but for the first time in my life, I really get that notion that babies are miracles.
Perhaps I’m growing up. Perhaps I’m even becoming one of those baby people. (I doubt it, but you never know.) Or perhaps it’s just because it’s different when it happens to someone who’s important to you.
Maybe Baby Natalie is so special to me because her parents are so special to me.
Maybe it’s because those very special parents chose me as their baby’s Godmother.
Or maybe it’s because…
Well, maybe it just can’t be explained. I mean, who could ever explain a miracle?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
My daughter is so blessed to have you as her Godmother - whether you be a fairy or any other type! I am so blessed to have you as my friend. Can't wait for you two to meet!!! Maybe Natalie will make you a baby person yet...haha. All our love, Nicole & Natalie
Some day maybe but right now you can have those special moments with other's friends kids. I know you and Brandon always make Corrine & Danny feel special. Miss you both XOXO Aunt Lisa
Lisa - Corrine and Danny were the first children I ever liked! They're fantastic!!!
Nicole - I am so amazed at your miracle. And if anyone can turn me into a baby person, it will be Natalie, forever my Baby Blueberry.
Post a Comment