Monday, November 30, 2009

Char’s Top Ten Series: Installment No. 3

Tomorrow marks three weeks since my accident and two weeks since my surgery; I have made significant progress, but, even as I feel better and better with every new day, I struggle to go about my everyday duties while lacking the use of one hand. It’s been frustrating, and I also, at times, struggle to keep my sense of humor. I have tried to find it tonight, though, with this latest Top Ten installment.

THE TOP TEN THINGS YOU CAN’T DO WITH ONE HAND

10. Dress yourself – button your jeans, snap your bra, tie your shoes, clasp your necklace, etc.

9. Open a can of soup at lunchtime (or anytime, really) – even the pop-top kind

8. Put your hair in a ponytail

7. Navigate a full shopping cart (after all that effort getting to the grocery store)

6. Shave your armpits – well, you can shave one of them

5. Do the dishes (darn!)

4. Reward your fiance for doing the dishes by playing X-Box with him afterwards

3. Talk on the phone and do anything else at the same time

2. Hold a 500-page book up in front of your face (and just when you’d lucked out with all that extra reading time)

1. And, just when you need it most, uncork a bottle of wine

Truth be told, none of this is funny when it’s happening to you. But I sure wish I had myself on video making all of these futile attempts (and I did make all these futile attempts). At some point, though, when this is all over, it will be pretty funny. Yes, at some point…

2 comments:

Nicole said...

So glad Brandon is there to help you out!

Anonymous said...

Hello Charlotte,

I feel like somewhat of a stalker but my mom (Linda Randazzo) talks very highly of you. She told me you have a passion for writing which I respect since I occasionally write myself. Your blog was a nice way to end my evening. I am going to really appreciate using both of my hands to type this message. Good Night.