My wrist has been broken for almost a month. It continues to heal, and I continue to feel closer and closer to my normal self with every passing day. Brandon is truly grateful for that, as this has been a challenging period for both of us.
He is nearly back into his normal routine, although he is still doing dishes; but I can’t seem to get back into mine, what with all the physical therapy appointments and the nuisance of having only one working arm. I am improving, though, and I can even see a glimmer of – what is that? – a light at the end of this very long tunnel! It is still just a glimmer, but I now see that, as painful as this month in the tunnel has been, it hasn’t been without its lessons.
First, I learned that you must (and it’s ok, even best to) have people to lean on. It seems kind of obvious, and maybe I already knew this on a certain level. But I have always been incredibly independent. I don’t like the thought that there exists in this world a single project or problem that I couldn’t take care of on my own if I had to. Sure, if I had a flat tire on my car or a snake in my yard, I would call Brandon – but not because I couldn’t take care of it, because I wouldn’t want to.
Well, this injury put me in a position where there were things I really couldn’t do (see last week’s post). I wanted to wash the dishes on my own (ok, that’s a stretch – but I did want to do my own ponytail). I was forced to ask for help, even on the most miniscule projects, and it was very humbling. I didn’t like it at all that I had to give up my precious independence. I only did it because I didn’t have a choice, but it eventually occurred to me that, injured or not, the road I walk only becomes straighter when I walk it with people who care about me.
Lots of people were caring about me, and while enjoying their company on my journey, I learned that it’s easiest for me to hurt the people who most want to help me. I don’t think it’s something any of us do on purpose, but it is something we all do. During this ordeal, I have approached Brandon with anger and frustration much more frequently than with gratitude. Of course, I am grateful to Brandon. I’m frustrated with and angry at life, but I can’t yell at life; I can yell at Brandon. And I do because I know he will still love me (and still open my pills for me) after my tirade is over, and sometimes even while I’m still in the middle of it.
I want very badly not to allow myself any longer to take my anger out on the people I love most in the world. I mean, once I learned that I don’t want to walk my road alone, the worst thing I could possibly do is chase people off it with my mood swings.
Oh, mood swings – the only thing I have ever willingly given up control over. Speaking of which, finally I learned that life still works when I don’t have complete control of it. I will probably always try to control every aspect of my life (well, besides the random mood swings, but that is only because I believe we are all entitled to them). I’ve learned this lesson about control over and over (it was a huge theme during my year in India, in fact), and it never seems to stick. This might be because I’m a bit stubborn, or, although the stubborn thing is true, it might simply be that this last lesson is such a hard one to learn.
I do know it, though. Yes, I forget sometimes (ok, most of the time), but I do know. The first time I saw my doctor, he told me that it would have been easier on both him and me if I had broken my arm bone clean in half. But I knew I hadn’t had control over it happening, and neither would I have control over it healing. As painful as it was, I had to just let it happen. And do you know what? It did.
And that’s how my broken wrist went straight to my head.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So often I think that physical obstacles develop into more problematic circumstances b/c they become a "head game". Right now, I'm trying to gear myself up for mind over matter with the upcoming labor/delivery of the baby. If we could only DO/ACT the way we really wanted every time without letting those pesky control issues or emotions (such as the frustration you mention)...boy wouldn't we be ideal? Since this ISN'T an ideal world, the word "sorry" exists and is very powerful.
Post a Comment